After two weeks on the road, I'm finally back home and got the chance to do some work on my samurai project. I stepped back from the sleeve design and decided to work on a different portion of the figure. This is a figure that has a lot of overlapping parts, so he's being done in a number of stages. Since I've completed the chest design and enough of the sleeve pattern, I decided I could add the flaps on his chest and his other arm. I painted the armor flaps first and then moved on to the sleeve. The orange is still a work in progress. I've done the shadows but I'm just getting started on the highlights.
To give you an idea of where this is headed, here's a look at a cover from one of the Osprey books on the samurai. I'm using the image on the far right as one of my major inspirations. I'm shifting the cloth colors to orange and green but I'm keeping the purple for the armor.