I took a break from the Praetor and started working on one of the old Rackham Dwarf figures. Some friends on Cool Mini are doing a Rackham Dwarf Paint-A-Long, so I thought I'd paint one too. I've got a couple sets that I painted maybe 6 or 7 years ago. I was hanging on to them to strip and redo, this was a good excuse.
I put a lot of effort into his face. I started with the same mix as the White Speaker: Chestnut Brown, Rosy Shadow, Rosy Skin, Fair Skin, Fair Highlight, and Pure White.
For the scar tissue I switched it up a bit. I started with the rosy skin and mixed in some Imperial Purple. Just a little bit goes a long way. Then up to Rosy Skin with a bit of Imperial Purple. For the highlights I went to Fair Skin with a but of Amethyst Purple and then Pure White.
While this is a 28mm scale figure, the head is really closer to a 75mm scale figure. So you can work in a lot more detail. The eyes are a good place to spend more time. I usually lay down the basic skin shadows and then paint the eyes. I began with a base coat of Violet Red mixed with Rosy Skin. While this will mostly be covered up there will still be a bit showing at the corners of the eye. From there I paint the whites of the eye. It's important not use pure white. While it seems like an obvious choice, it will make the figure look off. I worked with Weathered Stone and then a mix of Weathered Stone and Leather White. Not a lot of shading for the white of the eye, just a little. For the iris I started with Brown Liner. I begin with just a small dot to get the general placement and then slowly expand to get to the final size. For figures with two eyes I'll go back and forth making minor adjustments left or right so both eyes are looking in the same direction. I mixed in some Sandy Brown with the Brown Liner to brighten up the iris. I worked from the inside out to leave a very fine dark border. As you can see below I'm applying the highlights to the lower part of the iris, not the top. With that done I took just a touch of pure black. I used the brush, but the tip of a toothpick dipped in black might have worked just as well. Last was to add the catch light. For this I switched over to pure white.