Just a little bit of progress to share. I did some minor tweaks to the horn and rope. I also applied some glazes to the hands. A bit of pink to warm up the knuckles and the right palm, then some bluish purple to cool down the shadows.
I think I've finally settled on a shield design that I'm happy with. Thanks to a suggestion from Maenas over at CMoN, I'm doing the celtic pattern radially on the shield. This will add that extra detail I was looking for without fighting against the existing pattern on the shield. I haven't decided if I'll do it on all the dark sections. I'm going to start with four and see how it looks, then decide whether or not to do the rest.
When I finish the design, I'll do some glazing to blend it in and reinforce the shadows. After that I'll add chipping and general weathering to the shield.
With this figure almost finished, it's time to start prepping the next project. I've gone back and forth a lot on what I want to use as my 'big' project for Crystal Brush, but right now I'm leaning heavily towards a 90mm samurai archer from Pegaso. It's a beautiful piece with a lot of opportunities to work with freehand designs and plenty of color. This will definitely be a multi stage project. I've assembly most of the body but, because of the design work I'll have to do on the clothing, most of the armor panels will need to be attached later. There's also a bunch of equipment that will go on over those (sword, quiver, etc) but that will have to wait until after I do the detailing on the armor. Definitely a big project and one that has a lot of potential, but also one that is going to take a lot of time. I'd love to get in done in time for the contest but no promises yet. We'll see how it goes. Anyway, here's a look at the figure partially assembled. I included the Northumbrian for a sense of scale. It's definitely a big jump going from 54mm to 90mm.
Quick update on the shield...