Sunday, August 2, 2015

Update on Competitions and New Figure

Wow, I can't believe it's been almost a month since I last posted here.  Before I get to my latest project I've got some contest results to update everyone on.  I took Sorondil along with a few other figures to the Bay Area Open last month.  Sorondil came in 2nd for the people's choice and my Officer of the Guide was selected as the Crystal Brush qualifier winner!  Demihuman's entry took best in show and won people's choice as well, so way to go Ben!

A few months ago I submitted an entry to MassiveVoodoo's Bananalicious contest.  They announced the winners and I was completely shocked to see I got first place in the Historical Masters category.  I saw the other entries and honestly thought, well, if I get really really lucky maybe I could end up with a third place finish.  So I have no idea how I ended up the top spot but who am I to complain?  I really admire the guys behind MassiveVoodoo and I've picked up tons of useful info form their site, so I feel so proud that they liked my work.

Okay, on to what's next.  I've got some big projects planned in the near future, but with all the prep involved I wanted to start on something relatively quick.  I chose the Northumbrian Warrior from Latorre.  He's not too complicated, but I'm making some minor tweaks to the sculpt.  I'm also attempting to use color to capture a cold feel for the piece.  I plan to do a snow covered base, but I want to make use of cool colors to reinforce that feel.  It seems simple, but will require me to adjust a lot of my normal shadow and highlight mixes enough to push me out of my comfort zone.

Here's a quick look at the bare figure.  I used one of the etch master belts and will sling his shield over his back.  I wanted to put something in his right hand, so I looked around the bit box.  I thought about giving him another weapon but decided to give him a war horn instead.
 

After a quick base coat I went to work on the face.  I took a good deal of time trying to figure out how to adjust my skin mixes for the feel I wanted.  In the end I used my regular mix (Mahogany Brown, Chestnut Brown, Rosy Shadow, Fair Skin, Fair Highlight) and mixed in a little Ritterlich blue into the shadows.  I then used some of the Scale75 inks (red, blue, and purple).  I went heavier with the blues and purples than I normally would.  I also tried to exaggerate the red in the cheeks and nose.
 

Here's a closer look at the face.  I left the nose guard off while I painted the face (made that a lot easier).  Another change was my base for the metallics.  Normally I use a dark brown, but I decided to switch it up with Ritterlich blue.  Probably not going to make a big difference, but it a hint of it shows through then hopefully it will help.

2 comments:

  1. I'm liking this David. Just a little concerned the stubble is a shade to light ? It may be the photo.
    I'm interested in the metals as this is the look I want for my Glottkin.
    One other thing, what's up with CMoN, it seems you can't post from outside U.S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Ha, and I was wondering if perhaps I'd gone too far with the stubble color. I might play around a bit more, though odds are when it comes to the full figure photos it will be tough to see the difference. I've made progress on the metals and hopefully I'll put up a post about those tonight or tomorrow.

      As for CMoN, here's what they said - "Our anti-spam service went offline over the weekend which prevented posting and registration on the forums. The problem has been fixed - sorry for the inconvenience!" Seems a little off as posting worked fine all day on Monday and only went down Tuesday. And I still can't post using Chrome but Internet Explorer seems to work for me.

      Delete