More progress to report on Sorondil. I'm more or less making this up as I go along. I knew I wanted to do red scales and I thought I'd do a lot of red and purple on the rest of the figure. I don't have a super clear vision for the rest of the colors, so I'm starting with the parts I know and I'll figure out the rest later. First up was the scales on his back. To give it a little more visual interest I added a dark stripe down the center. Since the pattern is organic I threw a bit of randomness in there too.
Up next I went to work on the leather and bone. The texture is important for the leather parts. With the straps I used a lot of short semi parallel strokes, getting lighter along the edges and more worn areas. For the larger sections on his lower body I switched to more of a stippling approach. The darker shades were done normally, but as I got into the highlights it stopped being continuous and was just a series of tiny dots.
With the scales and the padding on his sides finished I was able to add his left arm. I wanted to out a string on the bow. I know this isn't new (though it's new for me), but I decided to try using hair for the bow strong. It's strong and very fine. I began by wrapping it around one end of the box and then dabbing it with a drop of thin superglue. After that dried it was on to the next side. The final step was to use a knife to cut the loose ends.