Well, things have been pretty quiet on this blog for the past few weeks. I haven't made a lot of progress on the hussar, so there really wasn't much worth showing. I've also been working on a few other painting-related things (including some boring old painting around the house). I attended Kingdom-Con down in San Diego a few weeks ago. It's mostly a gaming show, but this year the Draconic Awards ran a painting competition and organized a number of classes. I didn't compete, but went down to socialize and ended up helping to judge the painting competition. For this being just the first year of the painting comp, I was impressed at the number of entries. Hopefully next year I'll go into it with a little more planning and hopefully teach a few classes there as well.
I've also been taking part in a number of hobby hangouts. There's a new facebook group (started a month or two ago) called "The Hobby Hangout." Basically it's a lot of people using Google Hangouts to chat/socialize while they paint and share what they're working on. This past Friday I ran one and did a pseudo class on painting faces. I used Google to record the hangout and it's up on Youtube:
The class part starts about a half hour into the video. The resolution isn't great and the audio is a bit in and out. I'd like to repeat the class, but record directly from my camera/computer rather than through the hangout. That should create a video with much higher resolution (the camera should be in HD) and better audio too. I'm not sure when I'll have time to do that, but I'll definitely post the end result here when I do!
Okay, back to the actual figure... it's been a bit slow going on the Hussar. I wanted to do some freehand design work on his clothing. Since it's gold lace, I decided to go with TMM for the details. That ended up being a lot tougher than I thought. Something about the metallic paint just made it tough to do really fine lines. I struggled with it, but eventually got the hang of it (sort of). You can see the results on the red part of his hat. There will be more to do on his coat and pants, but that will wait until later. His headgear is finally finished and I'm ready to move down to his coat. I decided to set the figure on his horse for the photos, it's nice to see the whole piece.
I've got a couple other pieces primed and ready to go on my work bench. The first is an angel figure from Milosh Miniatures. Milosh is a painter who's been commissioning some sculpts and turning them into figures. If you're interested in seeing more or ordering any, check out his facebook page. I'm teaching a private painting class and this is the figure we'll be working on. Lots of opportunity to work on painting skin! Oh, and the figure is 54mm (though Milosh also created an 80mm version).
Also on the workbench is a 75mm scale sculpt of da Vinci's Vitruvian Man from Joaquin Palacios. It's a little bit different, but I thought it was really cool to see one of da Vinci's sketches turned into a 3-D sculpt. Not sure when I'll start this, but it's a good option to have around in case I get too frustrated and need a break from the Hussar!