This project has been neglected for quite some time. But, we've got a contest at our local game store (Game Kastle) coming up next week, so I decided to finish him up so I could enter. The main figure was mostly finished. He still needs his feet painted and some final weathering, but nothing major. The base, however, still needed a lot of work and that is where I've focused my attention. When it comes to painting the figure, I usually have a clearer vision. But bases tend to be more experimentation and reworking things until I'm happy (or at least happy enough to move on).
From there, I lightened up the center of the soil. This is the path, so I wanted a lighter color for it. It also functions to guide the viewer toward the figure. The rocks needed painting of course. For those, I went with a light grey. The result was fine, though a bit boring. So I went over them with glazes of brown and green. Not everywhere, just to darken shadows, bring up some greens on the sides of select rocks, etc. I also applied a mix of Linen White and matte medium to create some bird droppings, so give the rocks some history and a touch of realism. For the wood portions, I wanted an old faded look. So I went mostly grey. I used Walnut Brown as the shadow, then Dusky Skin as the base (a brown-grey), and finally Weathered Wood (from Secret Weapon) for the top highlights.
The base is pretty close. I've got a little bit of painting left to do on the ropes. After that, I'll add some grass and other details on the sides (leaving the center path clear). The figure still needs to be fixed to the base, so I'll fill in some gaps around his feet at the point and paint them to match the existing groundwork.
There will be some final details added after that. Some blood, perhaps some dust with pigments, arrows into the ground, etc. I've only got until Monday to get it in for the contest. So we'll see how much I'm able to do before then!