Been pretty quite here this month. I've been fighting off a cold and was away from home last weekend. Hopefully this weekend will be nice and quiet and I can try to finish up the samurai figure. In the meantime, I decided to do a little work on the Northumbrian. I haven't touched this guy since September, but I'm planning to use his as my entry for Historical Single Figure at the Crystal Brush competition so I need to get him wrapped up. All I've got left to do on this one is paint the base and do a few final touches (weathering) to the figure.
I took the base that came with the figure and extended the groundwork out to the edges of the wood plinth. I used the same colors from the figure (browns, grays, and blues) to paint the base so it kept the muted feel of the rest of the piece. I plan on making this a winter snow covered scene, so I did not worry too much about the dirt. I still needed to paint it and the rocks since, until I actually put down the snow, I'm not sure what might show through. I probably spent the most time on the tree stump as that will definitely be above the snow. I also added some dead leaves and yellow grass. I'll use some pigments on the grass so it's not all so one note with the color. Again, most of that will be covered by snow, but some may stick through and make the scene look more interesting.
I want to do a little more painting on the shield and then weather the figure (and base) with pigments. Once that's done I'll go about adding the snow.